POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : #let keyword(was: Previews of Ice Planet...) : Re: #let keyword(was: Previews of Ice Planet...) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: #let keyword(was: Previews of Ice Planet...)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 31 Aug 2000 17:54:36
Message: <chrishuff-D4F6A6.16561131082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39aeca8b@news.povray.org>, "Tony[B]"
<ben### [at] panamac-comnet> wrote:

> I don't like the keyword, but the concept is alright! :)

Which keyword? #let, or #set?
The post you replied to shouldn't even exist, since I told my software
to cancel it, and claimed to have done so, then I reposted with #set in
the subject...and can't find that post. It seems to have gone to data
heaven...stupid program.

The real keyword is #set...I think "let" is a BASIC keyword for creating
variables, which is why I didn't use it. The keyword I chose, "set",
describes what the keyword does, and is nice and short compared to
#local and #declare(which helps to make it stand out visually).

#modify? My second choice, but already used in another patch, I think.
It has a similar length to #local and #declare, which could make it more
easily mistaken for them, but is the most precise of the keywords I came
up with.

#assign? It is less precise than #modify, and it is the same length.

#let? See my explanation above, used in BASIC to create a variable,
which is what the #declare and #local keywords already do. It is also a
bit more vague, but it is nice and short.

#make? #change? #mutate? Too imprecise, obtuse, vague, and/or sometimes
used for other, entirely different things on computers.

Any better suggestions?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><